Learning Target: The important themes in The Odyssey play out in the end.
Story Update: As The Odyssey ends we see:
- Penelope – intelligence over physical strength, particularly with her choice of challenge for the suitors.
- Odysseus – strategizing and disguising in order to WIN.
- Athena – providing guidance and wisdom
Answer: (20 points): If you were to tell someone what The Odyssey is about, its message, or its theme, what would you tell that person? Write a short paragraph please.
Death at The Palace – today – guess how all of these plans will end.
Endnotes and discussion:
- Penelope weaves a tapestry, and uses it as an excuse to delay her decision making. How does this foreshadow her ‘weaving’ a plan to rid herself of the suitors and Odysseus ‘weaving’ a plan to return?
- There is a physical challenge presented to the suitors – what might this represent – reflect on practices of older cultures.
- Argos is barely alive. He is so fiercely loyal that as soon as he senses the return of his master, he promptly dies. He holds out for 2 decades. Think about the symbolism.
- What is the message / theme in the amazing loyalty of the family? What might this part of the story try to impart on young people?
Video: 1:17:04 – END
My Udemy classes are here – extremely low price and you have them forever.
I also sell custom made mugs like this one here on Amazon. I’ll do personalized orders as well. They are all made in the United States – in Pennsylvania.
All of the mugs are here on Gearbubble. These are made in the USA, and if you don’t want to contribute to Amazon’s record profits during this time of CV19, the Gearbubble link is the one to use. Thank you!