We are beginning a new story today. It’s called “How Much Land Does a Man Need?” by Leo Tolstoy.
Link to the story: https://www.online-literature.com/tolstoy/2738/
Listen to the first 3:14 of story read aloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Tu8F-2l8k
Today, please read part I of the story, or listen to it (3:14 minutes into the youtube reading).
Answer the following 2 questions:
- How does Tolstoy set up his short story? Where is Pahom, what is being talked about?
- Is it natural, ok or acceptable to want more? Is it greed? Explain this aspect of human nature.
Copy these Notes please:
- – “How Much Land Does a Man Need” by Leo Tolstoy
- – Setting: rural countryside Russia, lots of farmland and hills
- – Protagonist: Pahom, a farmer and peasant who wants more land
- – Initial conflict: Pahom’s sister in law comes over and makes fun of his social and economic status
- – Pahom says he “wouldn’t fear the devil” if only he had MORE LAND
My Udemy classes are here – extremely low price and you have them forever.
I also sell custom made mugs. I’ll do personalized orders as well. They are all made in the United States – in Pennsylvania.
All of the mugs are here on Gearbubble. These are made in the USA, and if you don’t want to contribute to Amazon’s record profits during this time of CV19, the Gearbubble link is the one to use. Thank you!